Royal Adelaide Hospital has served South Australia as a government institution since 1841; its foundation stone having been laid on 15 July 1840. It became a teaching hospital upon recognition by the Royal College of Surgeons, England, in 1872 and then in association with the Medical School, The University of Adelaide, in 1885.
Since 1979, Foundation Day has been held to commemorate and show appreciation to the men and women, past and present, of Royal Adelaide Hospital. Foundation Day usually takes lace during Hospital Week
Part of Foundation Day is the William Wyatt Oration where the addresses have touched upon an aspect of the hospital’s search for excellence, be it historical, contemporary or philosophical. Past orators have been:
Dr Chris Doecke, Pharmacy
Dr Ruth Marshall, Hampstead Rehabilitation Centre