The Infectious Diseases Clinical Service provides a specialised & comprehensive service to the RAH and the state of SA.
- clinical services (inpatient care/cross consultation/outpatient clinics/outpatient antibiotics)
- infection prevention and control
- antibiotic stewardship
- education and training
- HIV support services to other SA Government services.
Areas of interest include:
- HIV and viral hepatitis
- Infections in the compromised host
- Infections in ICU
- Infections following orthopaedic surgery
- Tropical infections
The multidisciplinary team of health care professionals is dedicated to providing the highest quality of medical, allied health and nursing care.
People are often concerned about the issues of confidentiality and their privacy when an infectious disease is the diagnosis. Staff are trained to respect a patient's rights and to maintain confidentiality and privacy at all times.
Unit Secretary (08) 8222 5340
The Infectious Diseases Unit provides inpatient care for patients suffering from infections. A consultative service is provided to all units in the hospital.
Infectious Diseases Clinics
Clinic appointments can be made to see our Infectious Diseases physicians and consultants on Level 9 of the Outpatient Building. All patients must be referred by a medical practitioner.
Level 9 Clinics
Appointments can be made on (08) 8222 2954 / 8222 2431 or fax 8222433 for public patients. Current referrals are required to satisfy Medicare Australia guidelines.
Infectious Diseases Physicians
Director of Unit
- Dr David Shaw
- Dr Karen Rowland
- Dr Jennifer Catford
- Dr Brett Ritchie
- Prof Justin La Brooy
- Dr Narin Bak
- Dr Geoff Higgins
- Dr Russell Waddell
- Dr George Nisyrios
- Dr Charlotte Bell
- Dr Morgyn Warner
Infectious Diseases Liaison Psychiatrist
- Dr Andrew Beckwith
Infectious Diseases Registrars
- 2 Registrar positions
Collaborative areas of interest with:
- IMVS Virology - Clinical application of HIV and HCV Molecular Virology
- Psychiatry - HIV Psychiatry Liaison: Dr Andrew Beckwith
- Viral Hepatitis Centre-a collaboration with RAH Hepatology
- Sexual Health Physicians at 'Clinic 275'
Patient Information Leaflets:
- What is HIV?
- What is AIDS?
- HIV Treatments. What if I have a problem?
- HIV Treatments. How can I do it better?
ID Infusion Clinic provides a variety of treatments for clients with infections and infectious diseases, including those with HIV and viral hepatitis.
Outpatient intravenous antibiotic and antiviral treatments for a variety of infections which otherwise would require hospitalisation can be administered in a comfortable, private setting.
Referral can be made to Infectious Diseases Medical Staff by RAH staff, primary care practitioners or other medical practitioners.
For further information and appointments please contact the Clinical Practice Consultant on (08) 8222 5817 or (08) 8222 4000 and page.
HIV Liaison Clinical Practice Consultant
The HIV Liaison has a broad role including:
- Liaise with agencies in the HIV sector.
- Education about treatment, care and support issues.
- Support and coordination for clients of treatment, appointments and ongoing care issues for clients.
- Inpatient and outpatient liaison including discharge planning.
- Resource and referral point for medical practitioners, health professionals and clients.
- Rural and remote liaison.
- Consultancy, education and support to the community and other institutions.
The HIV Liaison Officer can be contacted on (08) 8222 5816.
For further information on HIV/AIDS
South Australian contacts
|AIDS Council of SA||
Phone: (08) 8334 1611
Positive Living Centre
Phone: (08) 8293 3700
HIV/AIDS Women's Project
Phone: (08) 8239 9624
The Infectious Diseases Unit is the principle tertiary referral centre for HIV management and is a site for national HIV trials coordinated by the National Centre for HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research.
The Infectious Diseases Unit also undertakes clinical trials in Hepatitis B, C, vaccine and antimicrobial therapy.
For further information contact Infectious Diseases Clinical Practice Consultant on (08) 8222 5635