Skip to main content

Is the emergency department the best place for you?

If not, there are other options

Freedom of information


During your stay in hospital, after you have been discharged or following any treatment, you may wish to access information in your medical record.

The South Australian Freedom of Information Act (1991) allows you to request access to your medical record. It is possible to obtain a copy of the medical record.

What is in my medical record?

Your medical record includes health information collected during your inpatient, outpatient or emergency attendances and is used to assist in your ongoing care and treatment.

Such information includes details of current and past illnesses or injuries, operations performed, pathology results and medications taken and prescribed

How do I obtain a copy of my medical record?

The Central Adelaide Local Health Network (CALHN) holds medical records for the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Applications must be submitted in writing to CALHN’s Freedom of Information Office via post or email only at:

Freedom of Information Office
Royal Adelaide Hospital
Port Road


Your application must:

  • specify that you are making an application under the Freedom of Information Act
  • include your name and an address in Australia
  • provide enough information for us to correctly identify you on our Patient Administration System (i.e. date of birth, any previous names)
  • include the relevant application fee (unless you can supply a copy of a concession card such as a health care or pension card)
  • include a copy of proof of identity such as a driver’s license, passport or birth certificate.

To ensure you submit a valid application, application forms can be downloaded from the from the application forms below or from the State Records of South Australia website.

How does a relative obtain access to my medical record?

If a relative is requesting access to your medical record, they will need to supply proof of this relationship.

This involves providing written permission from the patient or a copy of either a Guardianship Board order or Advanced Care Directive (if the patient is alive) or copy of the death certificate and executor section of the Will (if the patient is deceased).

Application forms

When will I receive the information?

Once received, valid applications will be processed within 30 calendar days.

For further information, please contact the Freedom of Information Office at or call (08) 7117 2385.

Related links

If you would like more information on how to request information or the Act itself, visit State Records of South Australia.

Work with us

Want to work at one of Australia’s most advanced healthcare facilities? Apply now to join a truly world-class health network and see where your next career move could take you.

Back to top